Skip to main content

Venezuela Condemns New OAS Resolution Opening Way for Expulsion


“We condemn the coup-plotting ambitions of the United States, which is attempting to force an intervention on the fellow people of Venezuela,” 
-Evo Morales

source: venezuela analysis

Approved by 19 votes, the measure, nonetheless, falls short of the two-thirds majority needed to invoke the Inter-American Democratic Charter.

SHORT URL

oas_june_5.jpg

The Organisation of American States (OAS) in its 48th General Assembly, OAS Building, Washington, DC, June 5, 2018. (Mandel Ngan/AFP)
The Organisation of American States (OAS) in its 48th General Assembly, OAS Building, Washington, DC, June 5, 2018. (Mandel Ngan/AFP)
Caracas, June 6, 2018 (Venezuelanalysis.com) – The Organization of American States (OAS), passed a resolution against Venezuela Tuesday, provoking strong reactions from Venezuelan authorities.
The resolution, which alleges fraud in Venezuela's May 20 presidential elections and calls for political and economic measures “to assist in the restoration of democratic order” to the Caribbean nation, was passed by the vote of 19 countries, with four against and 11 abstaining.
Venezuelan Foreign Affairs Minister Jorge Arreaza spoke out against the measure, which he warned would justify deepening foreign interference in his country, including further sanctions.
“We are concerned that we Venezuelans organize ourselves democratically to solve our problems (...) Lift the sanctions against Venezuela and we will be able to get ahead with our own resources.”
Arreaza also pointed out that those supporting the resolution were paving the way to a military intervention. “Let that be on your conscience,” he added.
The strongest resolution the OAS has formulated so far against Venezuela, Tuesday’s decision could trigger a process leading to Venezuela's expulsion from the hemispheric organization under the Inter-American Democratic Charter.
The session was preceded by calls by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to suspend Venezuela from the body as well as apply “additional pressure” on the Caribbean country, including “sanctions and further diplomatic isolation”.
Nevertheless, the resolution’s 19 signatory countries fall short of the 24 votes needed to obtain an expulsion, which would have to take place in an upcoming OAS extraordinary assembly. Moreover, Venezuela has only 11 months left before it withdraws from the organization by its own initiative as a result of a decision taken last year.
Because the country's departure from the body is already in process, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro made light of the expulsion threat. “When Venezuela leaves the OAS we are going to have a big national holiday,” he said on Monday.
Whereas US Vice President Mike Pence celebrated the decision as a “victory for freedom”, other continental leaders, such as Bolivian President Evo Morales, spoke out against it.
Condenamos el afán golpista de #EEUU que busca forzar una intervención del hermano pueblo de Venezuela con la excusa de la aplicación de la Carta Democrática de la #OEA. Resolución del Vpdte. de EEUU, Mike Pence, es antidemocrática y viola principios de soberanía y no injerencia.

Condenamos el afán golpista de que busca forzar una intervención del hermano pueblo de Venezuela con la excusa de la aplicación de la Carta Democrática de la . Resolución del Vpdte. de EEUU, Mike Pence, es antidemocrática y viola principios de soberanía y no injerencia.
“We condemn the coup-plotting ambitions of the United States, which is attempting to force an intervention on the fellow people of Venezuela,” the Bolivian leader said via his official Twitter account.
In the history of the OAS, the only countries ever to be expelled are Honduras (briefly in 2009) and Cuba, whose socialist government lives on more than 50 years after the measure was taken and has declined offers to return to the organization, which Havana has repeatedly dismissed as Washington’s “Ministry of Colonies”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An overview of the 1934 Toledo Auto-Lite strike - Philip A. Korth & Margaret R. Beegle

LIBCOM.ORG A summary by Philip A. Korth and Margaret R. Beegle of the 1934 Toledo Auto-Lite strike. Originally appeared as the second chapter of I remember like today: the Auto-Lite strike of 1934, an oral history. The strikes at Auto-Lite in Toledo in the spring of 1934 secured a victory for the fledgling Automobile Workers Federal Union Local 18384 of the AFL and permanently altered the nature of worker-employer relationships in Toledo. This victory assured that working men and women in Toledo would have some power over their working lives and a voice in their community. Workers in Toledo today owe a debt of gratitude to the "unholy thirteen" who huddled over the fires burning in drums in front of Auto-Lite and who dreamed of freedom and dignity. And as today grows out of yesterday, so the workers in 1934 faced a set of conditions and attitudes shaped decades before by the industrial evolution of Toledo, the development of the automobile industry, and the historical strugg…

Ukrainian Labour Temple in Winnipeg a national historic site,10 Aug. 2009, NUGPE

http://www.nupge.ca/node/2478



Landmark site was a hub of activity during the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919 and it has long been of great historic significance to the Canadian labour movement.

Winnipeg (10 Aug. 2009) - The Ukrainian Labour Temple in Winnipeg's North End – a focal point of the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919 – has been designated a national historic site by the federal government.

The Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada says the designation recognizes the architectural significance of the building and "the important role it played in the social and cultural activities of Ukrainian Canadians."
The Ukranian Labour Temple was a centre of trade union activity during the historic Winnipeg General Strike of 1919

Built in 1918-19, the structure is the first and largest Ukrainian labour temple erected in Canada. It was built primarily by volunteer labour and financed by donations and served as a key hub for Ukrainian culture and political activism at the tim…

A US-Supported Coup in the Making in Nicaragua by Carlos Dada, 10 July, 2018

Jacinto Suarez, a legislator and the International Secretary of the Daniel Ortega’s FSLN, tells El Faro it’s all a conspiracy “to overturn the government”. Likewise, he justifies the use of paramilitary forces to aid the Police. Photo: Fred Ramos
By “the oligarchy, the drug dealers and the poor people on the right”
By Carlos Dada(El Faro / Confidencial) HAVANA TIMES – In Nicaragua the media that don’t belong to the government or the presidential family are overflowing with voices demanding the exit of President Daniel Ortega, but there are very few individual Sandinista voices there. The responsibility for such views falls mainly on the Sandinista Front Party and the public officials.  They won’t talk to reporters. There’s generally only an official version, delivered directly by the Vice President Rosario Murillo, using the government’s own communications media. That’s why an interview with Jacinto Suarez merits a higher profile.  Suarez is one of the most influential men in the FSLN. …